Serving Trinity County for more than 167 years
The Trinity Journal was born Jan. 26, 1856, when issue number 1, with completely handset type, came off the handpress in the Journal offices in Weaverville. In the 167-plus years since, it has reportedly never missed an issue — through fires, explosions, floods, snowstorms, electrical failures and other major and minor emergencies.
Seaman and Gordon produced the first Trinity Journal. Henry J. Seaman (1829-1874) came to California from New York in 1849 and to Trinity County shortly thereafter. In 1854 he was county clerk here and later a deputy sheriff. In January 1856, he was the first editor of The Weekly Trinity Journal. David E. Gordon (1831-1913) was not only the first publisher and proprietor of The Trinity Journal, from 1856-69, he was an influence in Trinity County until the time of his death. For nearly 15 years around the turn of the century, Gordon wrote long historical articles titled, “When Trinity Was Young” that appeared periodically in the Journal.
In the past 166-plus years there have been numerous publishers, some possessing the Journal for only a couple of years and some for decades.
The current publisher, Wayne R. Agner purchased the Journal in February 2009.
500 Main Street Weaverville, CA